Everyone needs a fast internet to do most of their activities but, even so, we can’t really put a stop to the circumstances that may slow down the internet speed on our Mac.
So, if you’re here to try to fix your Wi-Fi issues on your MacBook Pro/Air, then you’ve come to the right page!
Let’s find out what causes your slow internet and try to address them with these quick fixes.
Why is my Internet/Wi-Fi Slow on my Mac?
There’s no greater enemy to your productivity than slow internet. And having slow internet can happen to anyone anytime and anywhere in the globe.
There could be a lot of reasons why your MacBook Pro or Air alike is having Internet problems so, we’ve picked out the most common ones. These are the following:
a.) MacBook Pro/Air Operating System
b.) Internet kit (modem, cables, router)
c.) Internet Service Provider
Indeed, fast internet is directly proportional to your productivity, and if you’re currently experiencing Wi-Fi connection or Internet speed issues, find out how to fix it by following these simple steps below.
How to Fix Internet/Wi-Fi Issues on your Mac?
1.) Check your Internet speed.
First, we need to confirm if your internet or Wi-Fi is really slow. We can do this by checking your internet speed on speedtest.net.
You will be redirected to its page with a “GO” button. Click that once, and you’ll get the results in a short while.
Once you have the result and it’s slower than what’s offered in the package, it’s time to conduct the following fixes.
2.) Check the router setup condition and restart it if necessary.
You’ve got to admit it, the first thing you do when you are faced with slow internet is stare at your router.
Your router can slow your connection down, and the first thing you have to check is the router’s location.
What do you see? How’s your router’s setup? Is it placed inside or outside a thick wall?
If that’s so, then your Mac must be receiving a lesser volume of data that it cannot perform what is asked.
Relocate your router to someplace where there are no obstructions. If the internet speed doesn’t improve, consider restarting it as it has to adapt to its new location.
To tell you honestly, this works most of the time.
3.) Use another web browser.
Sometimes, your browser of choice can also become the reason why your Mac is slowing down. Not totally because of your internet service provider but because of the browser you’re using.
Some browsers excel at one window or tab only and some at multiple tabs. If restarting your router doesn’t work, try switching to another web browser and see how efficient your Mac can become.
4.) Upgrade to the latest available macOS.
Your operating system affects your MacBook’s overall performance.
First, try restarting your Mac first.
- To do this, click on the Apple logo on the menu bar and choose “Restart”.
- When it’s turned back on, hover over the Apple logo again.
- This time, choose “About This Mac”.
- It will show you a pop-up that displays the details of the Mac you’re using. Click on “Software Update”.
- In this case, there’s no need for an update. But in case you are prompted for a new macOS, try upgrading so you can reclaim your Mac’s efficiency.
5.) Run Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac.
Your MacBook Pro/Air offers wireless diagnostics to guide you if you wish to troubleshoot it yourself.
Running a Wireless Diagnostics on your Mac can provide you steps that you may opt to do so you can fix several Wi-Fi issues.
Here’s how to do it.
- Press and hold the “option” key. While pressing it down, move your cursor to the WiFi logo on the menu bar.
- A drop-down menu will appear like what is shown in the figure. Choose “Open Wireless Diagnostics”.
- A pop-up will appear. Click on “Continue”. It will now run the Wireless Diagnostics.
- In this case, there seems to be no problem with my connection. If you have, then it will display troubleshooting instructions that will help you fix your bad Wi-Fi connection.
- 6.) Conduct general cleaning on your Mac.If you’ve been using your Mac heavily, it must have already been loaded with a lot of accumulated data, and unknowingly, this slows down your Mac.You may opt to download an app that is allowed by Apple to do a cleanup of your Mac. An app like CleanMyMac X will help you declutter your files, clear your browsing data such as history, cookies, & cache and remove potential malware threats by just clicking the “SCAN” button once.7.) Call your internet service provider.Sometimes, nothing of the abovementioned steps will work if the issue comes from the internet service provider. They might not have been able to remind you of a scheduled maintenance activity or whatsoever.So, if all of these don’t work, it’s about time to contact your internet service provider. They may be able to further assist you in fixing your slow internet connection.Final WordsAt the end of the day, we all need access to fast internet in order to be productive in whatever we do – may it be work or play.If the time comes that you need to troubleshoot your lousy Wi-Fi connection, you can always rely on these simple and quick fixes to get through.Also, there are tons of applications that you can now use on your Mac to keep it optimized like CleanMyMac X. It is a good app that can do everything in just minutes.Which, among these tips, did you find helpful? Please let us know in the comments below.